Tuesday, September 1, 2009

How does class work?

Most of the time, class consists of two main activities: 1). talking about you in Spanish, and 2). reading and discussing. Every day I will be asking questions repeatedly so that your brain absorbs Spanish. Soon, you won’t even know you’re thinking in another language!
1. The first type of class activity involves me writing on the board the key language structures I want you to acquire. Using these language structures, I then ask questions about someone in class. I’ll “circle” the questions repeatedly so that you can acquire the language. We may then create a little story about your classmates using the information we learned in class.
2. Reading mirrors what we do with the personal question and answer sessions, only our conversations stem from the text. We first translate the written Spanish aloud into English so that we all understand what we are reading. I ask questions throughout the class as stated above.
* * *
Acquiring a language begins with your ears! As such, you MUST listen with the intent to understand. Also, I ask that you respond to EVERY single one of my questions. If I present new information, say “¡Oh!” and if you don’t understand a word, say “¿Qué quiere decir _____?” (What does _____ mean?) Responding to everything I say will help keep you focused in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment